Wednesday, November 13, 2013

When the Darkness Sets

When the Darkness Sets
By Philessa Hooks Jenkins
11/12/2013 11:07pm

The door knob turns slowly
As I’m woken from a deep sleep
I can hear the footsteps
On the other side of the door
But I’m paralyzed, I can’t move

My heart beats loudly
I can’t catch the air
I tell myself that I’m all alone
Pulling the cover over my head
Then I just close my eyes
As if it would save me some how

Wishing this crazy feeling would pass
I can hear the door as it creeks open
I find myself on the floor shaking
As the panic sets in I begin to feel this calm

It’s as if the world went silent
Right there in that moment
I woke to the darkness; engulfed by this fear
Then forced to listen but nothing...
no more footsteps

I build up the courage inside me
to peek over the bed
The room is silent and filled with darkness
But I manage to see that the bedroom door is closed

Was I dreaming?
I crawl along the bed in the direction of the light switch
Still afraid… until the light came on
And I realized that I was still alone

No comments:

Post a Comment